Coastal Ecosystem-Research Experience for Teachers (CE-BIORETS)
This collaborative project between FIU’s STEM Transformation Institute and Institute of Environment has been designed to support the development of the next generation of researchers by engaging K-12 teachers in coastal ecosystems research. Through the CE-BIORETS program, we will: 1) increase the participation of underrepresented groups by engaging teachers as researchers in the biological sciences; 2) increase the use of scientific research and inquiry in classrooms 3) create a scientific community of practice to support teachers throughout the research process; 4) improve research self-efficacy in teachers; and 5) improve our understanding of the global impact of humans on coastal ecosystems.
Our CE-BIORETS participants will be paired with one of our scientists studying the coastal ecosystems of South Florida. The scientists will serve as a research mentor and together with teacher they will identify a research question, design/implement a research project, and present the results at a research symposium.
This year we anticipate the ability to support 8 teachers with:
- $10,000 stipend support
- Professional Development including:
- Developing/implementing research project; improving science communication; data analysis/visualization; translating research into classrooms; scientific presentations; and using primary literature in the classroom
- Field Trainings/Excursions including:
- Deering Estate Historical Hike; Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge canoe trip; Biscayne Bay boat trawl; Botanical and Historical Tour of the Kampong; Florida Keys Snorkeling Tour; Everglades Airboat Tour; and Fruit & Spice Botanical/Agroecology Tour
- Materials and Supplies
- Provided for developing instructional materials related to their research project
- Instructional materials will: 1) be standards-aligned; 2) used to engage students in research; and 3) advance the understanding of coastal ecosystems.
If you are interested in being considered for one of our 2023 CE-BIORETS Fellowships, please complete the interest form at https://fiu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6FLNmFWLyb1L3F4
Cathy Laroche (FCE LTER RET, Felix Varela High School) and Dr. John Kominoski measure the heights of mangrove trees.
2017 K-STEP teacher training group at West Lake, Everglades National Park